Deconstructed Apple Dumpling
We deconstructed this autumn favorite so you can enjoy it on your terms!
3 cups peeled and diced Granny Smith apples (about 3 medium-sized apples)
1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp water
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Vanilla ice cream, sweetened whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce for serving (optional)
- Heat diced apples, lemon juice, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan, over medium high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and allow to cook until apples are tender.
- Once apples are tender, add butter and allow to melt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch until combined.
- Add cornstarch mixture to apple mixture, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve on Cinnamon Sugar Croccantini with vanilla ice cream, sweetened whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce.