Butternut Squash Risotto
A tasty way to utilize the autumn bounty!
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups roasted butternut squash
1 1/2 cup (6oz) shredded Fontina cheese
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. sage, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, and add garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice to large saucepan, and stir for 1 minute. Make sure to fully coat rice. Then add wine, and cook for 1 minute, or until wine is fully absorbed.
- Add one cup of the simmering broth mixture to the rice, and cook over medium-high heat until completely absorbed. Add remaining mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking in the same manner for approximately 20-25 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed and all rice is tender.
- Stir in butternut squash, and let heat. Then remove from heat, and add cheese, sage, and salt and pepper to taste immediately before serving.