Caramelized Onion Hummus
A sweet onion twist on a classic appetizer.
2 large sweet onions, chopped
1 12oz. can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. tahini
1 Tbsp. onion powder (plus more to taste)
6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt to taste
1. Melt butter and two tablespoons of olive oil together in a large frying pan over medium heat.
2. Place onions in pan and toss to coat with butter. Stir occasionally until onions become translucent.
3. Lower the heat and continue to cook until onions become golden brown.
4. Combine the rest of the olive oil, chickpeas, garlic, tahini, and onion powder in a food processor and mix until smooth.
5. Mix in caramelized onions.
6. Place in serving dish and drizzle with oil.
7. Add salt and extra onion powder to taste.