Sliced Steak with Avocado Sauce and Tomatoes
A hearty appetizer for long summer evenings by the grill.
1 1/4 lbs. beef eye round roast
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. Mexican-style chili powder
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 ripe Hass avocado
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1 large clove garlic
Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Slice the roast into 3 even steaks, and brush steaks with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with chili powder, and add salt to taste.
3. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until meat reaches desired temperature.
4. Let rest for 5 minutes.
5. Halve and pit the avocado. Scoop the flesh into a food processor, and add cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and 1/2 cup water, and puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Thinly slice the steaks, and serve on Black Pepper Croccantini with avocado sauce, with a half cherry tomato per Croccantini.