Cider-Braised Chicken, Brussels Sprouts and Apples
Comfort food for those chilly Autumn nights.
4 slices bacon, chopped
8 bone-in chicken thighs
2 medium tart red apples, cored and cut into wedges
1 12 – ounce bottle hard cider
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
12 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved if large (2 cups)
Original recipe found at: www.midwestliving.com
- In a very large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add chicken and cook 10 minutes or until cook thru, turning once; remove from skillet.
- Add apples to the skillet and cook 4 minutes or until browned on both sides; remove from skillet. Drain and discard drippings from skillet.
- Add cider, thyme, mustard, and salt to skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Add apples and cook, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes more or until chicken is done (at least 175 degrees F).
- To serve, divide chicken, Brussels sprouts, and apples among shallow bowls or plates. Spoon cider mixture over top.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon.