Camembert With Pear Reduction
A wonderfully flavorful appetizer that combines the complexity of good Camembert cheese with the delicate taste of sautéed pears.
1 – 8-oz. wheel of President Camembert or Brie cheese, cold
1 Tbs unsalted butter
1 large Bosc pear, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 Tbs brandy
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs honey
8 walnut halves
- Slice cheese wheel in half crosswise; set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add diced pear, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in brandy, and cook 1 minute more. Add rosemary, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, and spread pear mixture over bottom half of reserved sliced cheese wheel, reserving 2 tablespoons mixture for garnish. Transfer cheese to serving plate.
- Return skillet to stove, and heat balsamic vinegar and honey until simmering. Simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Pour half the glaze over cheese and reserved pear mixture; top with remaining half of cheese wheel and pears. Drizzle with remaining glaze, and garnish with walnut halves and rosemary. Serve immediately.